Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61566 times)

Noone

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »
A year later. With redistricting Redman Dist.4 will lose the legislative power to introduce legislation. Look at the poll. An amendment. Don't be afraid of amendments. They are attached all the time. The Public Trust has been destroyed and leading the conspiracy is Dist.4

Councilman Redman attach an amendment to 2011-560 that can be used with a FIND match on the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier that is currently in your district.

Be concerned. This is an issue that all our Regional Partners need to be made aware of.

Noone

« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2011, 04:17:05 AM »
The pier needs to be legislatively separated so as to outside the complete and total control of the yet to be created Downtown Independent Authority. This is Shipyards III. The pier should be looked at as the FREE parking spot of the St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative.

Noone

« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2011, 01:14:28 AM »
Waterways meeting in 8 1/2 hours. Redman- Occupy the Pier! Please.

Noone

« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
2011-554 Redistricting legislation. Shipyards III. Dist. 4 citycouncilman Don Redman is leading the conspiracy to deny Public Access and Economic opportunity to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative by not keeping the Promised 680'Downtown Public Pier separate.

Palms Fish Camp.
FIND
Regional Partners.
Who wants to be a 501-c? I'm serious.

Look at this pole. Who wants to really put this issue to the voters?
Who has the guts on MJ to form a 5 member committee and put this issue on the Nov. 2012 ballot?
I'm Noone. Need 4 more.
Will become a National news story and it should. The Public Trust just crushed.
Like Vivian Harrell says when describing Hogans Creek as a cleanup site. Its not a fluff location.
The Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier is not a fluff issue.

Will we be telling the world to

VISIT JACKSONVILLE
          or
DON'T VISIT JACKSONVILLE

Legislation is the dialogue of the community and its not happening.

Be concerned.

Noone

« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2011, 07:34:45 AM »
Going from the minutes of the June 15, 2011 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting.

In Attendance: Council members Don Redman (Chair), John Crescimbeni (Vice Chair); Commissioners Gary Anderson, Lane Burnett, Caryn Carreiro, Edward Fleming Jr., Raymond Pringle Jr., Scott Shine, Stephan Swann, Penny Thompson; Captain Jim Suber, Waterways Coordinator; Drs. Quinton White and Gerry Pinto, Jacksonville University; Asst. General Counsel Kristina Nelson; Jody McDaniel, Planning and Development Planning Dept.; Tera Meeks, Chief,Waterfront Management Programming, Recreation & Community Services Dept.; Charles Parks; Carlton Higginbotham, Duval Soil & Water Conservation District; Charles Hubsch, Environmental Engineer/Scientist, Environmental & Compliance Dept, Geoffrey Sample, St. Johns River Water Management District; David Kaufman, Jaxport; Ralph Hodges, Sierra Club; Captain Mike Getchell, Jacksonville Marine Transportation Exchange; John Nooney; Jessica Stephens, Legislative Assistant; John J. Jackson, Council Research Division.

There was no meeting in July. Waterway legislation went through city council. Don't you just love it?

Going from the minutes of the August 10, 2011 Waterways Commission meeting.

In Attendance: Council members Don Redman (Chair), John Crescimbeni (Vice Chair), Bill Bishop; Commissioners Gary Anderson,Lane Burnett, Caryn Carreiro, Edward Fleming Jr., Raymond Pringle Jr., Scott Shine, Stephen Swann, State Representative Lake Ray; Commissioner Penny Thompson was excused; Asst. General Counsel Kristina Nelson, Drs. Quinton White and Jerry Pinto JU, Captain Jim Suber, Waterways Coordinator COJ; Dana Morton, Vince Siebold, Gary Weise, Environmental & Compliance Dept.; Jody McDaniel, Planning Dept.; Melissa Long, State of Florida, Dept. of Environmental Protection; Neil Armingeon, St. Johns Riverkeeper; Derek Busby, Geoffrey Sample, St. Johns River Water Management District; Ralph Hodges, Jay Caddy, Tom Ingram, John Nooney; Nadia Gordon, FWC; Tera Meeks, Chief, Waterfront Management Programming, Recreation & Community Services Dept; Mario Rubio, Mayors Office; Jessica Stephens, Legislative Asst; John J. Jackson, Council Research Division.

In yesterdays Times Union on b-4 in the metro a story.

Next for Brown:
Parks changes

Palms Fish Camp
Shipyards/Landmar/Pier
Regional Partners
Who wants to be a 501-c? I'm serious.

Be concerned.     

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:40:19 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #215 on: October 27, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »
What would it take - or is it even possible - for this to be put on the ballot and let the voters decide directly?

From reading the last few pages of this thread - I have learned two things:

1) Your passion for this is unbelievable and I am grateful that you are fighting for the cause.

2) Our current elected officials aren't going to take any action on it.

Forgive me if the answer is in the first 6 pages - didn't have patience this morning to go back and read the entire thing.

Yes this issue can be put on the ballot.

Jacksonville Waterways FIND subcommittee meeting on follow up of canoe and kayak launches Nov. 2 10 am ste 425 at city hall.

Councilman Redman where are you? The pier Dist.4....... Shipyards III
The Public Trust is being just totally crushed.

dougskiles

« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
I think we need to give this Council a chance.  Lori's editorial provided us with valuable information on being a strong advocate.  Let's face it - if there was more community support for Hogans Creek it would be happening.

Our focus should be on gathering that support and then bringing it to Council.

JeffreyS

« Reply #217 on: October 27, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
I think we need to give this Council a chance.  Lori's editorial provided us with valuable information on being a strong advocate.  Let's face it - if there was more community support for Hogans Creek it would be happening.

Our focus should be on gathering that support and then bringing it to Council.
I agree and I think Noone is gathering support on every front he can.  I would love the pier to be public and will start lobbing for it.  Sorry it has taken me so long to get on board Noone.

ricker

« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2011, 02:57:24 AM »
This topic makes my skin crawl.

To echo the words of one of our recent mayors, essentially boiling down what many of you here have said,
 Concerning assets and attractions in our region, in our county, if we only have ONE of something, it should be DOWNTOWN!

The beach has its public pier and the river should have its own public pier downtown for the public.

Why is this is even up for debate among our council members and legislative body at large is far beyond my realm of comprehension.

Again the word temporary concerns me.
 We do not need a temporary park at the ship yards.

the pier needs to be front and center,
 with permanent access for all.
 From the curb at bay street all the way out to the riverwalk Connection / extension.
Fwiw IMHO.
 Regardless of one's status as a wage earner a home owner job seeker or renter.

None of that should matter.
 this prized piece of land truly needs to remain accessible for all to enjoy.

ricker

« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2011, 02:59:56 AM »
In perpetuity _

Garden guy

« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2011, 07:15:16 AM »
This topic makes my skin crawl.

To echo the words of one of our recent mayors, essentially boiling down what many of you here have said,
 Concerning assets and attractions in our region, in our county, if we only have ONE of something, it should be DOWNTOWN!

The beach has its public pier and the river should have its own public pier downtown for the public.

Why is this is even up for debate among our council members and legislative body at large is far beyond my realm of comprehension.
This is a republican ran city and republicans are'nt really that happy about public things..they have defunded public spaces and schools...why would they vote for a public pier.

Again the word temporary concerns me.
 We do not need a temporary park at the ship yards.

the pier needs to be front and center,
 with permanent access for all.
 From the curb at bay street all the way out to the riverwalk Connection / extension.
Fwiw IMHO.
 Regardless of one's status as a wage earner a home owner job seeker or renter.

None of that should matter.
 this prized piece of land truly needs to remain accessible for all to enjoy.

ricker

« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2011, 07:42:14 AM »
WHOA THERE NOW GARDEN GUY

I SEE YOU TWEAKE MY.POST A BIT

NO LONGER A QUOTE

IM NOT BASHING ANYONE.

urbaknight

« Reply #222 on: October 31, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
A picture speaks a thousand words.

And legislation is the dialogue that will Make it Happen. 2011-560-Shipyards. New legislation that is being introduced at the next city council meeting. Good? Bad? Any thoughts? Anybody.

Can you start a petition to get this on the ballot? I'll sign it.

Are you still up to kayak the river? I was just waiting for the weather to get cooler, but I'm able to do it now.

JeffreyS

« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »
I noticed Action News out there filming.  It looked like they were going to do a story about the new grass being torn up by parking.  I will sign a petition.  I will contact the council this week on keeping the pier public.

Noone

« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2011, 05:13:44 AM »
I saw the Action News story and the Administration will have HUGE announcements coming as to our Parks. Palms Fish Camp??? Anybody!

Tomorrow at 10 am 4th floor city hall Jacksonville Waterways FIND subcommittee meeting on canoe and kayak launches throughout Duval county. Open to the Public. Will be making another plea for the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier.

Look at all the new players and have been removed from the legislative history of this issue.

Mayor Alvin Brown
Tera Meeks
Paul Anderson
Daniel O'Byrne
AAron Bowman
Neil Armingeon
Mark Middlebrook
Governor Scott

Councilman Redman has all the legislative power in the world to introduce legislation today and Make the Pier happen today. It could be a recommendation that comes out of tomorrows meeting. Councilman Redman is the Chair of Waterways, the Pier is in his District and he can direct any action that can then be taken up for discussion and moved forward to the full Jacksonville city council. 

JeffreyS, urbaknight the petition drive can move forward in Dec. After council redistricting. Appreciate your support. I hope that Don and Scott do something. Its a lob pitch that they should just knock it out of the park.