Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61589 times)

CG7

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #255 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:40 AM »
Enough of the land to become a destination. I want a place with ships tied to the piers, playgrounds that noone has ever seen before, sculpture gardens... just plain gardens, fountains for splashing and viewing. I also would like some sort of amusement element included. Especially a ferris wheel as close to the river as possible for a one of a kind view. In short I think if we give some effort this can be our Central, Balboa etc park.

north miami

« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »
In your opinion, if you had a completed Riverwalk on the property and the a pier park, what else would you keep open?  You and I agree 100% on more public access to the river so I am interested in your views.  I just want to understand how 100% public access to a Riverwalk extension, a completed pier park, and a tie in to the Hogans Creek Greenway wouldn't be sufficient in your opinion
[/

So Field,what in fact do you imagine as Open Space use particulars and what would have you assume such vision will come to pass.And this in addition to the other images lodged above.

Field you can look forward to expanding your horizons and guarding against being derailed.

Noone

« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2011, 07:10:26 AM »
The Nov.2, 2011 Jacksonville Waterways FIND subcommittee meeting on canoe and kayak launches was sparsley attended.  Started at 10 and I'll just go right from the list of current submitted projects for the upcoming Nov. 9, Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting at 9:30 in council chambers.

The Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier is not on the list. WHERE IS The ADMINISTRATION? SHIPYARDS III

1. Zoo Dock construction
2.Mayport Docks
3.Ft. George Inlet
4.Harborview Dredging
5.Sisters ICW dock Dredging
6.Reed Island
7.Charles Reese BR-Dock
8.Zoo Pkwy. Property
9.Atlantic Marine canoe launch
10.Exchange Island Dock
11. Continuation of Blue Cypress boardwalk
12.lighting at BR 

you don't consider it a small victory that the City is considering additional access points to the river?

I thought this article from yesterday's T-U sounded promising

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2011-11-03/story/activists-get-government-interested-adding-more-st-johns-river-access

Huge meeting in 2 1/2 hours at Waterways. Anyone going? The pier should be on the list. Will any other suggestions by citizens be put on the list? Remember its a list. Ask Redman about Arlington River Dredge that was on the list in 2009 and now it has been withdrawn.

Be concerned.

dougskiles

« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
Photos courtesy of Noone:

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2011, 08:49:31 AM »
Enough of the land to become a destination. I want a place with ships tied to the piers, playgrounds that noone has ever seen before, sculpture gardens... just plain gardens, fountains for splashing and viewing. I also would like some sort of amusement element included. Especially a ferris wheel as close to the river as possible for a one of a kind view. In short I think if we give some effort this can be our Central, Balboa etc park.

I don't think it will ever be a Central Park type space (surrounding urban context issues), however what you describe works best as a mixed use site with adjacent land uses opening right up to or in it. 

urbaknight

« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »
The pier can make money too. there can be a small charge of $1 or something like that to allow people to fish off of it. Near the pier can be a small bait shop where you can also pick up a fishing lisence. A concession stand can serve the entire area, (whatever it's to become) such as hotdogs, hamdurgers, fries, softdrinks and other related "fun foods". I do like the idea of a ferriswheel too and maybe a merry go round.

And this is unrelated to the shipyards, but here's some food for thought, people won't fish in a poluted river. I've heard that it's getting better, but the JEA site on the southbank would be a great place for a marine bio lab and research center.
Bring in the best brightest minds to help us through scientific research and study to determine problems and come up with solutions to clean up the river.

fieldafm

« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »
The pier can make money too. there can be a small charge of $1 or something like that to allow people to fish off of it. Near the pier can be a small bait shop where you can also pick up a fishing lisence. A concession stand can serve the entire area, (whatever it's to become) such as hotdogs, hamdurgers, fries, softdrinks and other related "fun foods". I do like the idea of a ferriswheel too and maybe a merry go round.

There are only three fishing piers in this state that bring in a significant amount of revenue, but the good news is that maintenance costs are not very high.  If you look at the old Fuller Warren study, most of the annualized costs were related to construction of parking,not so much maintenance.  You won't need to worry about that with this piece of property unless you make the entire site a park, which I just cannot imagine is feasible given the costs the city has in this land and the prime real estate it offers.

And this is unrelated to the shipyards, but here's some food for thought, people won't fish in a poluted river. I've heard that it's getting better, but the JEA site on the southbank would be a great place for a marine bio lab and research center.
Bring in the best brightest minds to help us through scientific research and study to determine problems and come up with solutions to clean up the river.

Luckily, Jacksonville has a true gem in the Marine Reaserch Science Institute at JU.  Dr White and the MRSI has been the best thing to happen to the St Johns since water was discovered.

fieldafm

« Reply #262 on: November 10, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »

This type of (inexpensive and earth friendly as it uses recycled tires) launch can be EASILY affixed to the pier.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #263 on: November 10, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »
And this is unrelated to the shipyards, but here's some food for thought, people won't fish in a polluted river.

A few miles away in Ortega on the same river....

Same goes for the old Trout River Bridge...

Btw, I've seen people fish in Hogans Creek on multiple occasions.  Allow people to fish on the Shipyard's piers and you'll bring in a crowd.  It's really one of the most natural and affordable things you can do in public waterfront setting. 

Noone

« Reply #264 on: November 11, 2011, 06:01:22 AM »
Photos courtesy of Noone:

Doug, Thank you for posting the pics.

The November 9, 2011 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting was off the charts as it relates to groups and interest in canoe and kayak launch locations in Duval county. Tom Ingram was on the agenda and did a great job in showing everyone that participated even by being there that Public Access to our Waterways can be enhanced.

I'll report back more about the meeting. The highlight for me was the dual appearance by outgoing Find Commissioner Mike Messiano and new incoming Commissioner Aaron Bowman.

During Public Comment I shared my 3 year experience with the Commissioners of FIND and the attempt for a pocket pier (Floating dock) at a waterfront Public Access street end. The Commissioners of FIND said that I needed a sponsor. (A city council member) 3 years later and still don't have a sponsor.

Also a concern that the pictures that are only on Metrojacksonville did not get shown at the Waterways meeting. The plea that I was again making about the pier was not being shown to all the people in the audience. Cause for weak presentation on my part.

Anyone going to the ceremony  Sat. 11/12 at 10 am for Tide View Preserve in Atlantic Beach? 

Jacksonville Tradeport Pier can utilize the floating launch not at the end of the pier but next to the Riverwalk. Lake you are right that an organic cluster of activity can be created immediatlely. The Pier is not on the FIND list. It should be. CG7 lets access the pier now. Stockton and the pics of North Main shows the excitement for active and passive access. Imagine the Pier outside the control of the yet to be created Downtown Authority. Palms Fish Camp??? Anyone.

Huge meetings next week.
FIND
St. Johns River Alliance   

CG7

« Reply #265 on: November 11, 2011, 08:21:01 AM »
Who is the coucil person for the shipyards? If I heard and read correctly is not Redman any longer.

dougskiles

« Reply #266 on: November 12, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »

More from Noone...

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #267 on: November 12, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
How much would it cost to purchase and install a launch like that?

Noone

« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2011, 08:00:01 AM »
^Looking into it and will let everyone know.CG7the Independent Authority quagmire that  is wanting a complete and total takeover of our Downtown the sitting and still acting council person is Don Redman. The Public Trust just totally crushed in this community.

In attendance at the Oct.12 2011 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting: Don Redman -Chair, John Crescimbeni-Vice chair, Bill Bishop, Commissioners Gary Anderson, Edward Fleming, Stephen Swann, Penny Thompson, tate Representative Lake Ray; Commisioners Lane Burnett, Caryn Carreiro,Raymond Pringle, and Scott Shine were excused; Asst. General Counsel Kristina Nelson; Dr. Quinton White, Dr Gerry Pinto JU, Capt. Jim Suber Dockmaster/ Waterways Coordinator COJ, Dana Morton, Vince Seibold, Gary Weise, Environmental & Compliance Dept. Tera Meeks, New Chief of Waterfront Management Programming, Jody McDaniel, Planning Dept. & FIND coordinator, David Kaufman, Jaxport, Geoffrey Sample, SJRWMD, Chris Warren, Chamber of Commerce, Capt. Mike Getchell, Jacksonville Marine Transportation Exchange, Joe Wilhelm, Financial News and Daily record, Amanda Ellison, US Army Corps of Engineers, Danielle Fondren, John Cook, DHF Consulting, Drew Dixon FTU, Ralph Hodges, Michael Ricker, John Nooney, Jessica Stephens; Legislative Asst; John J. Jackson, Council Research Division.

The 11/ 9 /11 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting was a game changer for the people of Jacksonville. A state wide wake up call. On the agenda was a presentation by Tom Ingram for potential kayak launches and modifications to existing locations.

There were plenty of questions from the commissioners and also representation from the paddling community out in the audience that turned it into a love fest. The Recreational Fishing Alliance was there and so was Black Creek Outfitters.

For me the dual representation of the outgoing commissioner of FIND Mike Messiano and incoming commissioner Aaron Bowman was just huge. I shared my concerns a few months ago at a gathering of the FIND commissioners in Nassau county about the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier and had an opportunity to meet and talk with Aaron Bowman. Going forward and being at Wend. meeting you can now truly appreciate the total and absolute frustration that the people of Jacksonville have been subjected to.

After the meeting and standing outside of council chambers I meet Scott Shine, Ray Pringle, and Don Redman, They were not discussing Waterway business. I am just talking to Don and I mention what an unbelievable meeting. Remember this was now after the redistricting vote and my presentation did not get up on the monitors for everyone to see the pictures that are only being seen on metrojax. So I ask him again about the pier and also about Holmesdale Ave. and Palmer Terrace Park and he says to me that you have to contact Suzanne Jenkins or Ginny Myrick and get there permission. Are you SERIOUS? So are you now blaming restrictions of economic opportunity and Public Access to our river on these two? I know Suzanne and that is not the case. She is a hero in my book with the OFWB issue. Have no idea about Myrick. Have never met the lady.

So now lets contrast this to yesterday and the ribbon cutting ceremony at Atlantic Beach and the 800' pier with a kayak launch at Tide View Preserve. I didn't know this but this was also a FIND project. Mike Messiano was there and it was good to see him again. The Mayor of Atlantic Beach and two commissioners. Maria Marks the new commissioner from Atlantic Beach was there. Also Bonnie Barnes with the NFLT was there.

Where is the Riverkeeper on the pier? Rising Tides? The Administration?

Be concerned.
Keep score.

fieldafm

« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:22 PM »
How much would it cost to purchase and install a launch like that?

Less than 10k if it were attached to an already constructed dock(which the pier and any Southbank Riverwalk reconstruction project offers plenty of opportunity to do so).

The pictures Noone/Doug posted are of the boardwalk extension/dock construction/kayak launch at Tideview.  The total cost of that project was about 90k, and was a 50/50 split b/w the City of AB and FIND.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:30:24 PM by fieldafm »