Author Topic: The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown  (Read 17061 times)

tufsu1

Re: The Shipyards become new Green Space Downtown
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
the $420,000 was spent on getting rid of the concrete, old pipes, etc. that were on the site...and, if it were up to me, this site wouldn't ever be used for parking

fonduecheddar

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »
They should turn it into a public garden like they are doing in many places in Springfield or more like Fenway Victory Gardens in Boston. I think it would be a perfect attraction to get people to come down frequently to the area and add unique touches other than just a planned tree/shrub/sidewalk type plot. Get people to take pride in their riverfront.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fenwayvictorygardens/pool/

JeffreyS

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »
^ Nice suggestion.  I know the Jacksonville Zoo becoming the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens has made that attraction much nicer.

I like the Missouri Botanical gardens that include a shrub maze and a good amount of statue art.

tufsu1

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »
I think he meant a food garden

Timkin

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 02:28:37 AM »
Well .... Should the taxpayers NOT have a say in what is done with this space?  I mean it is our money they have spent to plant that grass.

I don't know what that much sod actually costs but $420,000.00 sounds really steep for sodding. ( I did read your post, TUFSU , and even with getting rid of debris, it sounds very expensive )

I think the Riverwalk needs to be connected to this space and since the money has been spent to make it a green space, for it to remain a Park and enhanced.

I also am not in favor of  parking on it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:30:35 AM by Timkin »

Noone

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 05:35:04 AM »
Well .... Should the taxpayers NOT have a say in what is done with this space?  I mean it is our money they have spent to plant that grass.

The taxpayer DOES have a say in what is done with this space. And that is why in 14 days at the next Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting if the Historic Promised 680'Downtown Public Pier is not part of a FIND subcommittee recommendation that sought Public input in a process that is then advanced to a commission that is appointed by the Governor representing the Navigable Waterways of the east coast of the state of Florida then the entire process especially as it relates to Jacksonville needs to be immediately reviewed.

Downtown Vision - Where are you?
Mayor Brown- An immediate Downtown Destination. I hope you want it on the list. SHIPYARDS III
Just like that I'll be making another request for my work that was not shown in council chambers at city council and at Waterways for another fantastic canoe and kayak launch at the Waterfront Public Access street end of Chelsea St. and Stonewall on McCoys Creek.

Timkin....Imagine being asked to participate and submit a list of Historic structures that you felt were important and had potential for a high Public Benefit. PSN4 is not even on the list.

mtraininjax

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
Next year the County Courthouse will become vacant and the clerk, judges, and staff will move into the new building. The shipyards is pittance compared to what to do with the court house and its land/parking. Same thing then with old City Hall, as Corey and her people are moved to the old Federal Courthouse.

The Shipyards is like a flea on an elephant compare to what is coming down the road.

Noone

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »

The Shipyards is like a flea on an elephant compare to what is coming down the road.

Your right and we will be a staewide joke if the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier is not on the upcoming FIND list. 

north miami

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »

Your right and we will be a staewide joke if the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier is not on the upcoming FIND list.

Flea infestation on Elephants in fact typically limited to tail,sores at the end of tail.Hair falls off.

*** More like a Gad Fly on an Elephant ***
                       *** Citizen Gad Fly(s) ***

Gad Flys lay their eggs on the skin of Elephants,where they become larvae.When mature,they bore out and fall to the rich,inviting soil of The Shipyards property,where they pupate to become adult Political Gad Flys.
The Elephants skin has many bumps the size of soy beans.The Elephant becomes irritated,which it shows by rubbing against trees,rocks and elongated concrete structures extending out in to deepening water bodies.Some of the bumps break open and become nasty sores as the larvae emerge..............

-------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:17:44 PM by north miami »

Tacachale

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 11:04:54 PM »

Is there a reason to think it will be? Is there a specific proposal on the table?

Noone

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2011, 05:59:24 AM »
YES!

north miami

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »

Is there a reason to think it will be? Is there a specific proposal on the table?

Good question,and one broached to Noone.
Monitoring  meetings is well and good and there have been numerous FIND events recently,but if inclined to post here,made most effective by actually noting meeting proceeding particulars,project status. As if a news reporter.

acme54321

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2011, 08:02:45 AM »

This.  Hate to say it but that pier is about as low on the downtown totem pole as you can get.

mtraininjax

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2011, 08:04:34 AM »
I think the mayor would look to add an NBA team over a pier to downtown.

Noone

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2011, 12:43:46 AM »
I think the mayor would look to add an NBA team over a pier to downtown.

And he may Make It Happen.

And to get him started with Making it a Downtown Destination I'd bring one of those portable basketball hoops and set it up next to the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier and take him on in a game of Pig, or Horse. But being the sport I am I'll spot him some letters and the game of elimination will be spelled REORGINIZATION. I don't know why but I've got a gut feeling that the Mayor has some game in shooting some hoops. I still believe that I'll kick his butt. Regardless, the last time I spoke with Mayor Brown he remembered our previous conversation about kayaking and he is getting props in my book for that. Need to get in touch with David.

While this is happening think about Fred Kent and 10 other small organic clusters of activities that can also be occurring.