Author Topic: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville  (Read 32108 times)

Metro Jacksonville

It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:03:01 AM »
It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville

Our taxi system is inefficient, unreliable and sometimes unpleasant. A new competitor called Uber is poised to enter the Jacksonville market with the aim of improving quality, efficiency and provide consumers with better choices.  The only problem?  The City of Jacksonville doesn’t allow for their existence.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-oct-its-time-to-welcome-uber-to-jacksonville

FSBA

Re: It's Time to Welcome Uber to Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:43:55 AM »
I remember at one council meeting it was brought up that you had to have X amount (I think 5) taxis ready to go before even being in compliance with city code. It is one of many arbitrary and maddening issues in there. I think it would be better to simply repeal most of the code concerning taxi/limo services.

aaapolito

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:25:09 AM »
Used this in Chicago. It's a nice tool and could be very helpful in Jax.

mbwright

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »
I don't see why a person could start with one car, and one driver, and be able to sell their services, (aside from the minimum of 5 taxies.  Competition always help lower prices, and make services better.  I have yet to see a monopoly (or close to it) help.
We experienced very quick and professional, and reasonable service in Edinburgh, Scotland, a few years back.  What a difference it was.

simms3

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »
I use Uber, Sidecar, Flywheel, or Lyft at least 3x a week.  I used UberX yesterday to transport some new large luggage that I bought.  I believe all of these were invented in SF, naturally; I know a couple of folks that work at Uber.  Lyft is like UberX, but drivers are mandated to attach a pink mustache to the front or windshield of their car so that they are visible as Lyft drivers.  Sidecar is totally discreet and Flywheel has the support of taxi drivers (usually impossible to call a taxi on Uber, SF is the only city I've been able to so far and it's a difficult).

I used Uber in Atlanta when I lived there, but the only options were for Uber black cars at the time, though I recently used UberX there in September now that it's available and these drivers were such novices.  Had no idea how to get around the city, not to mention there were basically 2-3 drivers in total on a Saturday night such that my crew and I ended up with the same black girl and her Dodge Charger like 3 times.  Needless to say it was an interesting night and we loved her for it - she charged a lot less in Atl than in SF, despite the distances to go anywhere and she was a chatty cathy in a good way.

But Uber presents 4 options in typically large cities:

Taxi - where you can call a taxi to your location (often not available in cities where there are disputes about all of this)

UberX - random drivers in their personal cars; they must apply and pass background

Black Car - town cars, this is very popular option in bigger cities where 10-15% of the cars on the road are town cars (SF, NYC, DC); I used once to impress a date in Atlanta before anyone there had even heard of Uber - knew my driver's name and number and pretended to know him personally until I decided the joke was over, LoL

SUV - limo SUV's.  Was the only option available for me and my crew once after a concert, so I bit the bullet and ate the $223 fare to transport us back a few miles to our friend's apartment.

There's your rundown.  Keep in mind that while you rate your drivers after all is said and done (1-5 stars), they rate you as a passenger.  Fuck up too much and you're rating will dip too low for anyone to want to pick you up.  If you are drunk with friends or a hookup at 3 in the morning on Fri/Sat, I suggest you still take a cab!  Cab drivers are much more forgiving and look the other way if you want to break out the blow or get a blowjob in the backseat.  JK JK JK

fsquid

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »
I use Uber in LA all the time.  Works well.

Noone

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:38:13 PM »
Checker cab at the podium right now in TEU.
Nobody has a clue what's going on.

Noone

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
Councilman Love is discussing Insurance.

Noone

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:56:03 PM »
Joost is ready to move forward on the legislation.
Anderson is up now.

Noone

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »
Gulliford up and asking Uber to come up to the committee.

Ron Mexico

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 04:14:55 PM »
Please let this happen...I am such a fan of Uber and UberX...it is a great way to get from point A to point B reliably as well as a fantastic on-demand option when you have been out and had something to drink and do not want to ride home.  Here in JAX we have all tried calling out local cab companies and they are either very late, very unreliable, or simply scary to get in.  Leap into the 21st century City Council.  This can only be a good thing.

Josh

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
I love using Uber in cities it's available, but I'm sure using Uber to call taxis will be a regulatory nightmare here, and I don't see how private cars could be financially viable given the types of trips that people in this city would be using them for.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »
Here is a T.U. article on the issue of Uber and legislation.  The legislation is supposed to go to city council next week.  Looks like there is some opposition brewing from those in the car hire business.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2013-10-14/story/jacksonville-city-council-vote-could-open-door-uber-devastate-car-hire#ixzz2hkG3ykdg
  Click link for full story.

fieldafm

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
There is a petition available if you support expanded transportation options and want Uber in Jax:

http://www.change.org/petitions/bring-uber-to-jacksonville-support-bill-554

theduvalprogressive

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 12:17:05 AM »
The only problem I see with the competition model mentioned earlier is the price of fuel. I believe Uber would be an awesome service especially since this city has a negative attitude towards making public transportation user friendly.