Author Topic: Chinese fighter intercepts Navy Poseidon  (Read 36211 times)

spuwho

Re: Chinese fighter intercepts Navy Poseidon
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 10:50:25 PM »
So people are offended by the "Great Wall of Sand", so the Chinese are offended by the Philippines rebuilding a old military installation in the same area. Lots of "offended" people it seems.

Per Reuters:

Philippines dismisses China concerns over South China Sea military repairs

Members of the Philippine marines are transported on a rubber boat from a patrol ship, after a mission at the disputed Second Thomas Shoal, part of the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, as they return to a naval forces camp in Palawan province, southwest Philippines...

(Reuters) - The Philippines dismissed concerns by China over its plan to repair military facilities in South China Sea, a foreign ministry spokesman said on Saturday, insisting Manila has sovereign rights over territories in the disputed areas.

The possible repair "is no way comparable to China's massive reclamation activities, which not only violate international law...but also unnecessarily raise regional tensions", spokesman Charles Jose said in a statement.

"China's recent statement expressing concern over what the Philippines plan to do should not distract us from the real issues in the South China Sea, which are China's illegitimate 'nine-dash line' claim," Jose said.

Maritime lawyers note Beijing routinely outlines the scope of its claims with reference to the so-called nine-dashed line that takes in about 90 percent of the 3.5 million square kilometers South China Sea on Chinese maps.

The South China Sea is believed to be rich in oil and gas. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan lay claim to parts of the sea, where about $5 trillion of ship-borne trade passes every year.

The territorial dispute is seen as one of Asia's hot spots, carrying risks that it could spiral out of control and result in conflict as countries aggressively stake their claims.

On Friday, China's foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said it was "seriously concerned" by the remarks by Philippine Foreign Minister Albert del Rosario on the possible resumption of repairs on an airstrip on Thitu Island.

"This is not only a serious infringement of China's sovereignty, but it also exposes the Philippines' hypocrisy," she told a daily news briefing, calling on the Philippines to withdraw from the islands.

Manila had halted activities last year over concerns about the effect on an international arbitration complaint it filed against China in 2013. A decision is expected in early 2016. Hua repeated that China would not participate in the case.

Manila called on all claimant-states last October to stop construction work on small islands and reefs in the South China Sea. China itself is undertaking massive reclamation works in the area, while Taiwan, Malaysia and Vietnam have also been improving their facilities.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 07:36:25 AM »

mtraininjax

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 06:45:45 PM »
The Chinese own all the planes the US have, so they were just doing an inspection of their property.

spuwho

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 12:32:42 AM »
One land boring torpedo from a submerged submarine would decimate that runway pretty easily being so close to the shoreline.  Having compacted sand on top of a coral reef makes for easy unavailability. (in military terms)

spuwho

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 12:40:49 AM »
I might add that along with the US, the Philippines, ROC Taiwan and now DRPC China will have runways in some fashion or form in the area.  It's not like they are the first ones, just currently the busiest.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18:36 AM »
"Land boring torpedo"??  Really??  ::)

Check out the map... closely...  Notice where the Chinese landmass is... then notice their claimed territorial seas.

Notice the Blue diamond... this is the area in question... specifically the north east corner of the diamond.

Here is another map... illustrating the importance of the area...

or this one...

Spuwho... you mentioned US airfields in the area...The nearest US airbase is in Okinawa, Guam or Thailand.  We are sometimes granted usage of fields in the Philippines and Singapore.  Certainly none in the "islands" we are talking about...

spuwho

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
The US has no active airfields in the Spratlys today, however there are a few US built airfields on a couple of reefs. I believe one is used by a local island council and the other is abandoned.

There is a torpedo designed to penetrate certain ocean defenses, similar to a bunker buster but water borne. I tried to find a link on one but couldnt. I saw it in a documentary.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 08:02:36 AM »
The US has no active airfields in the Spratlys today, however there are a few US built airfields on a couple of reefs. I believe one is used by a local island council and the other is abandoned.

There is a torpedo designed to penetrate certain ocean defenses, similar to a bunker buster but water borne. I tried to find a link on one but couldnt. I saw it in a documentary.

There is no such torpedo... nor is their airfields... certainly none capable of military use.  When you find the torpedo or the airfield please post.

Did you notice where mainland China was with respect to the Spratleys?

acme54321

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »

There is no such torpedo... nor is their airfields... certainly none capable of military use.  When you find the torpedo or the airfield please post.

Johnston Atoll is one

BridgeTroll

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 08:22:46 AM »
Of course... since Hawaii is so close to China...

spuwho

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »

Went back and looked and got the wrong island chain. US had no presence in Spratly/Paracel archipelago.

During WWII the Japanese had garrisons theoughout, but no airfields.

I am still looking up that torpedo, I know I wasnt dreaming it. I am checking Janes.

acme54321

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »

I never said it was, just an example of a US built reef base.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 09:50:52 PM »

I never said it was, just an example of a US built reef base.

Well sort of... Johnston was always an island... while the Chinese are actually building an island first... where one never existed... then building an airbase and port facilities.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 07:27:33 AM »
Here are some other new South China sea islands now becoming... China...

https://johnib.wordpress.com/tag/fiery-cross-reef/

Before and After... Gaven Reefs

Before... Johnson South Reef

After Johnson South Reef

spuwho

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »
China tell SoS Kerry, our islands in the China Sea are "unshakable".

Per NYTimes:

China Stands by Its Claims Over South China Sea Reefs