Author Topic: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed  (Read 146773 times)

fsquid

Re: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
these images are all over the twitter.  mission accomplished.

KenFSU

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »
Beautiful imagery, but nothing more than an exercise in graphic design until there's financial data.  Anything done on financial feasibility?  City commitment, ownership consortium commitment, bank debt commitments?  Hard to get very excited about this without a discussion on numbers and timelines, especially in light of past failures on this property.  Oh well, I suppose the media buzz about downtown's potential is probably worth something down the road.

edjax

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »
Stephanie Brown from WoKV is adding alot of info/comments from Shad on her twitter feed. Very interesting.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »
It seems so out of context with the rest of the city...  What happened to Maxwell house?  Reminds a bit of a Mooneyhan production... just sayin...

Tacachale

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Looks nice. I reserve judgement until I see the price tag.

pierre

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »
It seems so out of context with the rest of the city...  What happened to Maxwell house?  Reminds a bit of a Mooneyhan production... just sayin...

The "Mooneyhan Studios" thing was like a Sim City creation from a guy who had one movie to his credit.

The Shipyards proposal is from a guy worth 4.5 billion dollars.

KenFSU

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »
Stephanie Brown from WoKV is adding alot of info/comments from Shad on her twitter feed. Very interesting.

Interesting.

Khan emphasized that this needs to be completed in one phase, rather than piecemeal.

He also took a lot of inspiration from the Sydney Opera House.

edjax

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »

The "Mooneyhan Studios" thing was like a Sim City creation from a guy who had one movie to his credit.

The Shipyards proposal is from a guy worth 4.5 billion dollars.

Quit with the facts.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »
Wanting to hear about the financial dimension of this huge announcement isn't really "betting against" anyone...it's prudence.  I sincerely doubt there isn't a major city stake in this proposal, above and beyond environmental clean-up, but we'll see at the DIA meeting next week (I think).  At the moment, without the numbers, let's just call this what it is, a beautiful dream and compelling presentation. 

Todd_Parker

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »
Now this is a $.01 sales tax increase I could get behind. 1/2 cent for the pension and 1/2 cent for this development. Better Jacksonville Plan, version 2.0!

downtownbrown

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 03:27:58 PM »
I'm not worried about the price tag.  Khan knows the city has no money.  He knows it's all on him. Anyone still think the city shouldn't give him the land for a song?  Imagine the future tax revenue.

JaxNative68

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »
let's get a shovel in the ground now!

For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
Honestly, the biggest difference between Vinik and Shad is that Shad is a lot richer of a man. He is top 10 in richest owners in all of professional sports. If he really is buying into Jacksonville, this would be the single biggest thing to happen to Jax since the Jaguars actually arriving and probably Ed Ball and the DuPont Fortune before that.

I do like that he now lists his permanent address in Naples, FL, instead of up north.

tufsu1

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 04:31:29 PM »
Honestly, the biggest difference between Vinik and Shad is that Shad is a lot richer of a man.

maybe so, but Vinik's $1 Billion Channelside project has the financial backing of Cascade Investment, LLC...the personal investment fund of some guy named Bill Gates.

simms3

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a negative nancy, ugh, where to begin?!?

1) Docks for boats smaller than 300 ft long are not protected in any way from channel wakes, so the setup for the docks is a bit unrealistic

2) Too many palm trees

3) I know just placeholders, but if these are to be just placeholders, I'd rather see conceptual massing alone, and NUMBERS, more of an official plan.  Not a Microsoft Paint render of some stuff thrown together.

4) There is some sort of disconnect, a major one, between what's graphically shown in the renderings, and the actual size/layout of the piers in place (not even considering their structural integrity)

5) Do I see rendered wood all over the place as a floor material for riverwalks/piers?  Have we not learned our lesson?

6) WTF, a hot air balloon poorly rendered in Paint on one of the slides?  Really?

7) The architecture - again, I know just a placeholder, but this architecture doesn't even attempt to communicate at all to the history and aesthetics of Jacksonville.  It's very blase, yes, so that's a strike but forgiveable for the fact that I'm ASSUMING this is all a placeholder, but it's not even a blase that works for Jax.

8 ) The Naval ship is going to just hang off of one of the piers into the channel current?  Someone DID NOT think that through at all.

9) Is it just me or is one of the slides completely lifted from the design of the Miami Central Station with some additions of glass and a color scheme switcharoo?  Namely, the slide below the one where the Naval ship is precariously hanging on by a thread to the end of one of these piers.  Last slide on Pg 2

10) The 2nd slide on Pg 3 - wtf.  Seriously, wtf.  "Play" is the theme.  But play on what?  An area of wooden boards and a pointless unattractive riverwalk feature that inclines up in the middle like a bridge?  The whole thing seems pointless.  "Boardwalk Bridge" is its label on next slide.  And here we go with the wood again!

11) Offices that don't appear to be structurally possible as rendered given what's there now, WITH A FOOTBALL FIELD ON TOP.

11a) First of all, that football field is comfortably on top.  How F'ing big are these floorplates here?  Nobody on this team has studied real estate, let alone the Jax market.  For everyone's reference, a football field is 51,200 sf.  An avg tower floorplate size is 15-25k sf and an avg suburban building floorplate might be 25-35k sf.  You don't want your whole building taken up by hallways and common space, so you design for efficiency - either floorplates that are easily subdividable (like a basic square of ~20k sf) or you design for single-tenant floorplates, knowing that there is a market for such.

This building has to be 120k-150k sf floorplates in an impossibly inefficient shape/design.  I could write an essay on how bad it appears to be.  Maybe some posters in the local real estate market, namely some office brokers or investment sales associates who follow this board can comment.  It just seems....offensive to my eyes.  This isn't SF or NYC where a tech tenant might take the whole darn thing, or easily and happily fill 100+k sf floorplates.

11b) Football on a roof 100 ft up above the public - yea that's realistic.  Why render it if you can't do it?  Is it a joke?

12) OH WAIT, nvm, that was RETAIL/MIXED-USE?!?!?!?!?!?!  Even worse, wtf is that!!  I've gotta stop now.

13) The little awkward pudgy things my eyes couldn't quite understand at first are the "office" buildings poking up outa the top where people are supposedly going to play football and not kick any balls off the roof of that 100 ft high building onto people below.

14) More football fields rendered.  I guess that's what we can expect from the owner of a football team.  But wow.  Did Khan take a break from owning a team and render all this himself?  It wouldn't surprise me.

Guys, this is NOT a serious proposal.  Hold out for better.  Something slow and organic, piecemeal, lot by lot, would be better than this master-planned atrocity that won't get built anyway.  The very very first proposal for the site more than a decade ago was far superior, and more thought out, rendered appropriately, and well put together, despite the "missing" money and the lack of a market for such a large deal (not that there's a market for it now, either).

This is offensively bad.  I put it on the same level, or maybe even below, that 1,000 ft observation tower proposal.  THAT was more realistic than this.