Author Topic: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed  (Read 148204 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Khan's Jacksonville Shipyards Plans Revealed
« Reply #600 on: July 16, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »
The way Khan's proposal reads, the city could easily be on the hook for $100 million worth of things to pay for. Environmental clean up is just one of several things those responsibility for good management of public tax dollars need to carefully mull over.

downtownbrown

« Reply #601 on: July 16, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »
Curry, not the DIA, owes Jacksonville a status report.  He needs to unveil his real list of priorities.

Tacachale

« Reply #602 on: July 16, 2015, 10:59:10 AM »
Curry, not the DIA, owes Jacksonville a status report.  He needs to unveil his real list of priorities.

Pretty sure he's working on that. The budget's due on Monday.

downtownbrown

« Reply #603 on: July 16, 2015, 11:01:43 AM »
He already leaked, via Mousa, that "Liberty Street" is a priority.  Problem is, by "Liberty Street" he means Coastline Drive between Newman and Market in order to protect the Hyatt.  I don't think Liberty Street itself is anywhere on anyone's radar.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #604 on: July 16, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »
Liberty Street is where the current hole is. Sounds like they want to get it (that particular hole) fixed.

downtownbrown

« Reply #605 on: July 16, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
Liberty Street is where the current hole is. Sounds like they want to get it (that particular hole) fixed.

They'll have to fix both holes.  And they'll have to sign off on the safety of the entire bridge. Won't happen.

Sounds like they want to fix them, true.  But they mean something different.

mtraininjax

« Reply #606 on: July 16, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »

Its called a budget, its coming out soon, keep your pants on. Those items funded are a priority as opposed to video jumbo-trons. Its ironic at a time when Alvin could have been helping small business with loans, he was shaking hands with Kahn over million dollar jumbo-trons, instead of shaking hands with business people who could have been starting new businesses with help from the city. SMH!

MusicMan

« Reply #607 on: July 16, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
I don't have a real problem with the super giant scoreboards.  I am a Jags ticket holder (4 pack). But that money also could have been used to clean up The Shipyards. That also would have helped Khan immensely.

Noone

« Reply #608 on: July 17, 2015, 06:29:10 AM »
Where are the Active recreational opportunities to engage our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a FEDERAL, FEDERAL, FEDERAL Initiative in our new super duper restricted 2014-560 CRA/DIA Downtown Sanctuary zone?

fieldafm

« Reply #609 on: July 17, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »
He already leaked, via Mousa, that "Liberty Street" is a priority.  Problem is, by "Liberty Street" he means Coastline Drive between Newman and Market in order to protect the Hyatt.  I don't think Liberty Street itself is anywhere on anyone's radar.

Under the heading 'Liberty Street, Coastline Drive/Parking Deck Projects' of the Capital Improvement Plan proposed (ordinance 2015-505) $5mm is allocated this year, $9mm the next fiscal year, $6mm the year after that and then $22mm and $23mm in FY18-20.

This year, Coastline Drive would be reopend both ways from Newnan to Market St (its currently limited to one way traffic).  Replacing both the Coastline and Liberty Street Bridges (which requires both a demolition and a construction phase) would take about two years to complete and cost a little over $20mm (which would probably involve a federal match to the local contribution). If the budget gets passed as proposed, both the Coastline work and the engineering plans to permanently replace both bridges would begin in October (Council must pass the budget by Oct 1st)... so clearly fixing the problem has been made a priority.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:42:36 AM by fieldafm »

fieldafm

« Reply #610 on: July 17, 2015, 08:22:48 AM »
Where are the Active recreational opportunities to engage our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a FEDERAL, FEDERAL, FEDERAL Initiative in our new super duper restricted 2014-560 CRA/DIA Downtown Sanctuary zone?

Under the Capital Improvement Plan proposed (ordinance 2015-505) new spending relating to recreational water access proposed:
$1.4mm is allocated to Hugenot Memorial Park Beach Access (this also neatly coincides with Governor Scott's signing of the kiteboarder exemption pushed locally by Janet Adkins, Scott Shine and other community advocates) 
$848k is allocated towards dreding Pottsburg Creek
$306k is allocated to relocate the dock at Sisters Creek
$524k is allocated to replace the dock at Metro Park (which is in very bad shape)
$102k is allocated towards extending the Joe Carlucci Dock
$133k is allocated to the Wayne B Stevens Dock replacement
$200k is allocated to Alimacani Park (an acquisiton from the old Preservation Project that links to the Timucuan Preserve, and has boat and trail facilities that need upgrading/repairs)
and FINALLY (!!) $101k is allocated to placing a kayak launch at Tillie Fowler

In addition, continuation of previous capital projects approved have $137k going towards further work on the County Dock Boat Ramp Improvements and $217k towards the Mayport Boat Ramp Lane Extension (I can personally attest to this being a great project for boaters)

And after Governor Scott vetoed funding for the St Johns River Ferry, close to $1mm has been budgeted in the CIP proposed by the Mayor to keep the ferry in operation and on pace to reach the financial goals set forth by the (ridiculously hard working) St Johns River Ferry Commision.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:29:26 AM by fieldafm »

vicupstate

« Reply #611 on: July 17, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »

Under the heading 'Liberty Street, Coastline Drive/Parking Deck Projects' of the Capital Improvement Plan proposed (ordinance 2015-505) $5mm is allocated this year, $9mm the next fiscal year, $6mm the year after that and then $22mm and $23mm in FY18-20. Fixing the problem has clearly been made a priority.

So its going to take  $65mm and 5 years to get these existing but deteriorating streets/parking lots into shape. I assume the parking decks are the existing ones at Liberty and Coastline and not new parking elsewhere. 

That is a big chunk of change.

fieldafm

« Reply #612 on: July 17, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »
I edited my response for clarity Vic.

I can only presume the larger projections in years 4-5 involve some larger work related to the site that is not yet determined... again, only an assumption (probably not fair to assume).

downtownbrown

« Reply #613 on: July 17, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »
Demolishing the existing bridges and rebuilding them is exactly what is NOT going to happen.  In that whole mix comes the redevelopment effort for the old courthouse.  Why would the city demolish and rebuild a huge parking lot on the river for a development that has yet to be defined?  Seems pretty clear to me that the only thing very likely to be fixed is Coastline Drive in front of the Hyatt. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/print-edition/2015/07/17/liberty-street-construction-delayed-while.html?ana=e_ph_prem&u=WlI%2520uS2dnrpUQEXzA1dC/Q0a72b012&t=1437140477

mtraininjax

« Reply #614 on: July 17, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
Seems pretty clear to me that the only thing very likely to be fixed is Coastline Drive in front of the Hyatt. 

Yup, I do not believe there is money for anything else, at this point. Not unless some sort of "Public/Private" partnership comes forward.