Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61571 times)

Ocklawaha

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »
Ock, Nice examples of launches, Pocket Piers. Ock, would you like to see Hogans Creek?

Sure, I went up about 3 years ago and discovered a whole new batch of hobo jungles.  My interest is not unlike yours in that I think it needs to be both perserved AND developed at the same time.  A proposal for the streetcar sends it across Hogans Creek at the Beaver Street alignment (there is no street in that section). I'd love to see us do a hybrid of Oklahoma City's Canal Walk, and the old "Sunken Gardens" park. Perhaps a smallish old fashioned Trolley Park or "Electric Park" a 1920's style amusement area on the north end. This would balance losing the fair to Cecil for inner city families, as well as create a tourist destination.

Arrival by streetcar would set the stage for a unique "Dixieland," experience. Traditional rides, and everything brilliantly illuminated. The entire park set in a wooded urban jungle, which could be recreated into a tropical paradise. Add a hotel or creek walk and we'd be off and running with an exceptional addition to the Riverwalk.

AS FOR THE PIER?

I wonder what the odds are of developing of a small cruise terminal at that site connected to downtown by Riverwalk and eventual Skyway? In other words go ahead and develop the large main terminal out east of the Broward Bridge, and build something more like a Florida Welcome Station in a prominent downtown spot for small ships. When a cruise is coming in we could have a staff there for the event, otherwise it would make a great office for Visit Jacksonville.

Idea's anyone?

OCKLAWAHA

simms3

« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2010, 10:49:50 PM »
This is Shipyards III just look at the poll. If Landmar had been successful with their development objectives there would have been 150 slip marina with not one slip for the Public. The 16 acres of Public space would have been reduced to 8.

I obviously voted yes in the poll and have already elaborated on my thoughts, but you brought up one area of contention here with the boat slips.  I'm mixed on whether the City, via the taxpayer, should foot the bill for public slips.  I'm all for public parkspace and riverfront "access" via land along the river, but a public marina is a whole different deal.  There aren't many or maybe not any cities that actually foot the bill for construction, maintenance/operations, and liability for public marinas.  Jax should be no different.

We already have riverfront docking space that's hardly ever used.  Who's to say that a full blow marina will be used?  Besides, if we have to pay to golf (even on public courses), play tennis, drive a car/park it, or do just about anything, why should boaters get a free ride?  For the record, I am a lifelong boater.  People pay up to hundreds of thousands of dollars for slips and there are enough "squatting" boats/boaters dotting the river illegally and city and the FWC and the Marine Patrol do absolutely nothing about them (kind of like the city allows landlords to let buildings rot illegally).  I don't see a public marina downtown being a good thing.  The city should charge slip fees or docking fees in certain circumstances (events).

Noone

« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2010, 05:53:55 AM »
Simms, I don't think we are to far off and together on this one. Like I said out of 150 slips not one for the Public. Keep 149 private. Charge, do what you want. It will all be governed within the codes, covenants, restrictions of the HOA.

I'm just saying allow one. Berkman Plaza, Plaza at Berkman what happened to that gentleman that invested his life savings and I believe it was him and his wife that were attempting a waterway business on a catamaran? There was a story in the TU. Shortly after that he was gone. I heard they had to leave. Some loophole. So how many boat slips have been sitting empty there and for how long? Another business attempt squashed.

The legislature and the new way to look at what constitutes a WORKING WATERFRONT.

There was another thread about using the River. Use the PIER!

Granvil Tracy the developer of the Peninsula even before he broke ground I asked him about the OFWB. He told me that it would be great to have and use on the Southbank. Next time somebody sees him just ask him how he would like to see a pier across the river from his beautiful property.

Its an election cycle and right now its not happening. A new director for Visit Jacksonville. New director at JAA. New director at the JPA. New city council. New Mayor after 8 years. Legislation 2010-856 transient vendor ban that can have a Major impact on Commerce on our Waterways. You can just see how opportunity and economic freedom could get lost in this shuffle.

No way am I supporting any candidate that won't save and use the PIER. Be concerned.

Keep score.

dougskiles

« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2010, 08:02:42 AM »
Picture = 1,000 words.

Noone - do you have any renderings that show the pier as it could should be?  I'm not talking about the SCAD stuff (which was cool but not imminently realistic).  With a little work on Sketchup and Google Earth, I think we can come up with something that will help with the sell.

Perhaps a little design charette after the paddle on Friday.  Is anyone else in?  Don't tell me that you all are busy on Friday afternoon?  If you can't make the paddle, how about a brainstorming session?

Noone

« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2010, 04:56:20 AM »
No I don't have any renderings. The talent on this forum is awesome. Not to start a list of the numerous posters that could immediately step up to the plate and make it happen but Ock amazes me with his examples and product knowledge on so many topics but especially rail.

Fieldafm had some good examples early in this thread. Hope he's OK haven't seen him post lately.

Looking forward to spending some time with you and your son on the water tomorrow. Bring your camera. Should be a beautiful day. Ricker appreciate the heads up. We'll do it another day.

ricker

« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2011, 06:43:24 AM »
NOONE- what is OFWB?
sorry, newbily yours.

Ocklawaha

« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
Climb out of your box y'all and let's look at some pictures...

I found it interesting and something that should peak JAXPORT and DVI attention in that 5 different images show SMALL SHIP CRUISES tied up at the piers. In a city that sometimes I think was built on "trailer houses, pickup trucks, Red Man Chew, and Walmart," small ship cruises with their broader range of excursions actually offer cruises that Jacksonville could afford.

OCKLAWAHA
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:56:43 PM by Ocklawaha »

Noone

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2011, 02:12:21 AM »
Nice Pics Ock. I just think that in 3 months we'll be voting for a new Mayor and city council. Who will be the candidates that will use the river?

Ricker the OFWB is the Old Fuller Warren Bridge. The span of the old I95 south span was partially under the new Fuller Warren span. It extended 1300' out into the river. It was also a shaded structure. The Peyton administration and Baptist hospital didn't want it despite numerous reports and studies that said that it could be saved and used.
Its gone now. So the community moves forward. An opportunity lost.

We now have Shipyards III. 2010-604. Ask the candidates their position and what they want to do. Be concerned. 

ricker

« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2011, 02:56:49 AM »
inspiring!

Who are our candidates?

mayoral
council

They must ALL go on record stating their positions.

WE MUST NOT BE DISTRACTED by talk of the future extension of the Northbank Riverwalk!
Such a proposal does absolutely nothing to secure the pier for the use of the tax-paying public!

Flashmob march on city hall, anyone?

Noone

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2011, 08:23:27 AM »
Will an amendment be attached to 2010-856 to exempt the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier?

Be concerned.

north miami

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »

Where is FTU Ron Littlepage on a public pier?? 

Dog Walker

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »
There aren't many or maybe not any cities that actually foot the bill for construction, maintenance/operations, and liability for public marinas.  Jax should be no different.

Just St. Petersburg, Miami, New York City, Fernandina, Ft. Myers, San Diego, Toronto, Norfolk, Annapolis, Elizabeth City, ....just to name the ones that I have personally been in.  These cities frequently hire private companies to run them, but the cities built them and own them.
When all else fails hug the dog.

north miami

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2011, 04:50:01 PM »

Just where do all of the various local candidates 'stand' on a public pier?? The info seems illusive.

Is there a rush to seal the pier's fate prior to the elections??

fieldafm

« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
Where is FTU Ron Littlepage on a public pier??

He's for it.  He wrote an editorial about opening up the entire site as a riverfront public park.  That's a bit too much grande IMO, but I like his support for the pier.

Noone

« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2011, 05:38:14 AM »
I'd still be concerned. The entire site.  Shipyards III. Go back to the original poll. The administration doesn't want it separate. Its not happening with legislation from Dist. 4 or 7. That's why it should be one of the biggest city council and mayoral campaign issues. Nobody is making it happen.

Keep score.