Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61539 times)

Noone

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #270 on: November 14, 2011, 07:17:41 AM »
Field, Those numbers are not close to what was discussed at the ribbon cutting ceremony. No disrespect Mike but I hope someone else makes an inquiry. Don't get me wrong good stuff but just like RAM, Palms Fish Camp, and what this thread is about the Pier. As we move forward Who and Where will people not only be able to access but from an economic standpoint be able to use our RIVER.

These expanded zones and districts that are being created should be a huge red flag. Shipyards/Landmar and the promised 680' Downtown Public Pier needs to be outside the control of the yet to be created and voted on Independent Downtown Authority.

What is the position of Rising Tides on the Pier? The Riverkeeper? The Administration? Ask the question. I couldn't tell you.     

fieldafm

« Reply #271 on: November 14, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »
That could very well be.  The 47k/47k split was the original proposal for Tideview.  I didn't keep up with any changes along the way.

The kayak floating dock number is ironclad though.  I've priced them out.

Noone

« Reply #272 on: November 14, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
I'm too old for Rising Tides. I'm a sinking tide or ship. But what is the position of the Administration, Riverkeeper, on the Pier?

Awesome number on the kayak floating dock.

dougskiles

« Reply #273 on: November 14, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »
The perfect place for a floating dock in San Marco would be Riverfront Park (known affectionately, as San Marco Beach).  We would need to construct a wood ramp to get down to it from the bulkhead.

Noone

« Reply #274 on: November 16, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
^Looking into it and will let everyone know.CG7the Independent Authority quagmire that  is wanting a complete and total takeover of our Downtown the sitting and still acting council person is Don Redman. The Public Trust just totally crushed in this community.

In attendance at the Oct.12 2011 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting: Don Redman -Chair, John Crescimbeni-Vice chair, Bill Bishop, Commissioners Gary Anderson, Edward Fleming, Stephen Swann, Penny Thompson, tate Representative Lake Ray; Commisioners Lane Burnett, Caryn Carreiro,Raymond Pringle, and Scott Shine were excused; Asst. General Counsel Kristina Nelson; Dr. Quinton White, Dr Gerry Pinto JU, Capt. Jim Suber Dockmaster/ Waterways Coordinator COJ, Dana Morton, Vince Seibold, Gary Weise, Environmental & Compliance Dept. Tera Meeks, New Chief of Waterfront Management Programming, Jody McDaniel, Planning Dept. & FIND coordinator, David Kaufman, Jaxport, Geoffrey Sample, SJRWMD, Chris Warren, Chamber of Commerce, Capt. Mike Getchell, Jacksonville Marine Transportation Exchange, Joe Wilhelm, Financial News and Daily record, Amanda Ellison, US Army Corps of Engineers, Danielle Fondren, John Cook, DHF Consulting, Drew Dixon FTU, Ralph Hodges, Michael Ricker, John Nooney, Jessica Stephens; Legislative Asst; John J. Jackson, Council Research Division.

The 11/ 9 /11 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting was a game changer for the people of Jacksonville. A state wide wake up call. On the agenda was a presentation by Tom Ingram for potential kayak launches and modifications to existing locations.

There were plenty of questions from the commissioners and also representation from the paddling community out in the audience that turned it into a love fest. The Recreational Fishing Alliance was there and so was Black Creek Outfitters.

For me the dual representation of the outgoing commissioner of FIND Mike Messiano and incoming commissioner Aaron Bowman was just huge. I shared my concerns a few months ago at a gathering of the FIND commissioners in Nassau county about the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier and had an opportunity to meet and talk with Aaron Bowman. Going forward and being at Wend. meeting you can now truly appreciate the total and absolute frustration that the people of Jacksonville have been subjected to.

After the meeting and standing outside of council chambers I meet Scott Shine, Ray Pringle, and Don Redman, They were not discussing Waterway business. I am just talking to Don and I mention what an unbelievable meeting. Remember this was now after the redistricting vote and my presentation did not get up on the monitors for everyone to see the pictures that are only being seen on metrojax. So I ask him again about the pier and also about Holmesdale Ave. and Palmer Terrace Park and he says to me that you have to contact Suzanne Jenkins or Ginny Myrick and get there permission. Are you SERIOUS? So are you now blaming restrictions of economic opportunity and Public Access to our river on these two? I know Suzanne and that is not the case. She is a hero in my book with the OFWB issue. Have no idea about Myrick. Have never met the lady.

So now lets contrast this to yesterday and the ribbon cutting ceremony at Atlantic Beach and the 800' pier with a kayak launch at Tide View Preserve. I didn't know this but this was also a FIND project. Mike Messiano was there and it was good to see him again. The Mayor of Atlantic Beach and two commissioners. Maria Marks the new commissioner from Atlantic Beach was there. Also Bonnie Barnes with the NFLT was there.

Where is the Riverkeeper on the pier? Rising Tides? The Administration?

Be concerned.
Keep score.

Just checked the website and the St. Johns River Alliance Board meeting is now tomorrow from 1-3 at Camp La No-CHE in Paisley, Florida. Anyone going? According to councilman Redman we just gave them $20,000 for dues. Who will be the Duval county representative at this meeting? I have asked councilman Redman and haven't heard back.

I wanted to attend and ask the Board for a resolution of support that would provide Public Access and economic opportunity if the Shipyards/Landmar 680' Promised Downtown Public Pier was outside the control of a yet created and voted on Independent Downtown Authority. The last attempt was back in 2005. This is when councilwoman Suzanne Jenkins ( The OFWB was not in Jenkins district) Super pats on the back. Jenkins introduced 2005-207 the legislation for the OFWB and can you imagine the shock when I addressed the 12 county Board and our then representative Brad Thoburn and then acting chair Sue Carlson (Brevard county) and Mindy Mathews River Navigator asked if Brad would like the Alliance to support a resolution. Brad declined.

The shock from the other 11 counties when they say "John, What an opportunity for Jacksonville. But how can the other 11 counties support a resolution when your own county doesn't want it." And with the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier the entire city can say collectively " Here we go again." The Public Trust just totally crushed.

The same shock occurred last Dec. in Palatka when I told the Alliance about 2010-856 the 1 mile transient vendor ban. We are crushing economic opportunity to the Waterway in Jacksonville.

The domino pieces of legislation that are pending before our city council will have the impact of shutting down Public Access and Economic opportunity to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a FEDERAL Initiative. Its happening.

What is the position of the St. Johns Riverkeeper? I couldn't tell you. I wish I could. 

Be concerned.

Noone

« Reply #275 on: November 18, 2011, 07:59:49 AM »
FIND meeting in an hour. Open to the Public. One Ocean Hotel. One Ocean Blvd. Atlantic Beach.
Why isn't the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier on the upcoming FIND list for Duval County?
Mayor Brown- The Pier can be a DOWNTOWN DESTINATION.

Who in the administration will Make It Happen?

Noone

« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2011, 06:44:51 AM »
3 days ago I attended the Board meeting of FIND (Florida Inland Navigation District).

FIND is GOOD. Jacksonville is LOST.

Besides myself the only other speaker from Jacksonville to address the Commissioners of FIND was current Jacksonville Waterways Commission member and current Chair of a subcommittee on upcoming FIND projects from Duval county was Gary Anderson.

I shared with the Commission that I felt that the Public Trust as it relates to Public Access to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative has been totally crushed.

I mentioned and showed them that the PROMISED 680' DOWNTOWN PUBLIC PIER is not on the current FIND project list.

Let me repeat that. I held up and showed the Commissioners appointed by the governor and representing the east coast of the state of Florida that SHIPYARDS III and the PROMISED 680' DOWNTOWN PUBLIC PIER (IS NOT), on the current FIND project list. What a Joke.

I also shared with the commission members that some I'm getting to know quite well that this is my 3 year anniversary addressing the district with the issue of a pocket pier. If we can have pocket parks, we can have pocket piers.

I can't wait for the next Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting in December and the comments of Gary Anderson and his recommendations on how our community moves forward. 

Be concerned.
I'm scared to death.

Noone

« Reply #277 on: November 30, 2011, 05:22:42 AM »
The Nov.2, 2011 Jacksonville Waterways FIND subcommittee meeting on canoe and kayak launches was sparsley attended.  Started at 10 and I'll just go right from the list of current submitted projects for the upcoming Nov. 9, Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting at 9:30 in council chambers.

The Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier is not on the list. WHERE IS The ADMINISTRATION? SHIPYARDS III

1. Zoo Dock construction
2.Mayport Docks
3.Ft. George Inlet
4.Harborview Dredging
5.Sisters ICW dock Dredging
6.Reed Island
7.Charles Reese BR-Dock
8.Zoo Pkwy. Property
9.Atlantic Marine canoe launch
10.Exchange Island Dock
11. Continuation of Blue Cypress boardwalk
12.lighting at BR 

you don't consider it a small victory that the City is considering additional access points to the river?

I thought this article from yesterday's T-U sounded promising

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2011-11-03/story/activists-get-government-interested-adding-more-st-johns-river-access

Doug, I wanted to respond back on this thread because the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier can and should be on the upcoming FIND list and the people of Jacksonville need to be scared to death if its not even on the list. The state of Florida is becoming aware of the issue.

Did anyone attend the recent Board meeting of the St. Johns River Alliance? Do we even know who the Duval county representative is that is representing Jacksonville? Councilman Redman, where are you?

Anyone plan on attending the Governing Board meeting of the St. Johns River Water Management District in Palatka Dec.13?

Has anyone done a site inspection of the kayak launch at Chelsea St. and Stonewall down from the Haskell building in Riverside?  Because if its that easy lets get the chain saws out and head to River Road Park and knock that one out this weekend.

The TU article does sound promising. And what activist Tom Ingram has done in two meetings is very positive. Will something make the FIND list?

There are numerous domino pieces of legislation that are happening and the question of access to the river from not only a public and passive perspective but a public/private economic perspective need to be equally addressed. Are they? I say no.

Dec. 13, Jacksonville city council meeting. Will an amendment be attached to the reorganization legislation that would keep the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier (Shipyards III) outside the control of an Independent Authority? Mayor Brown-Make It Happen. Make it a Downtown Destination!

Next Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting Dec. 14, 9:30 council chambers. The commissioners of FIND are all curious will the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier (Shipyards III) make the list.

Be concerned.
Keep score.
The state of Florida is watching.

Noone

« Reply #278 on: December 03, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »
Spoke with Scott Wilson and he informed me that the Jacksonville Waterways Commission FIND subcommittee meeting on identifying canoe and kayak launches has NOT scheduled another meeting. I hope they do. Is the list final?

I want to add Chelsea St. to the list. Its McCoys Creek.

According to Scott and I told him that I was posting this on MJ so feel free to jump in here Scott and clarify but unless you submitted your request  at the FIND subcommittee meeting your suggestion won't make it on the list.

In my opinion this gives councilman Redman another exscuse because this will forbid any councilmember to add any of their requests. Sound familiar?

This is what happened with 2010-856 and the transient vendor ban. I was assigned to a special subcommittee to look at exceptions. I was seeking an exception to the Waterways of the St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative. Especially as it related to a Working Waterfront. The legislation was withdrawn.

Does anybody care?
The Public Trust just crushed.

Noone

« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
Hey MJ members. Just got an email from Jacksonville Waterways Commission member Scott Shine and he informed me that the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier didn't make the FIND list is because he was told that it would be $20,000,000. 

I still blame Redman if he fails to make a motion in 7 days when this issue will be before the Jacksonville Waterways Commission that can attach the pier to the FIND subcommittee list before being advanced to the full Jacksonville city council.

Visit Jacksonville?
        or
Don't Visit Jacksonville

Does anybody care?
The Public Trust just crushed

fieldafm

« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »
$20million?!?!

That is so false it's not even laughable.

John, can you please forward me that email?

north miami

« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »

That is five times the $$$ applied to Downtown West Palm Beach ............

Who quoted 20,000,000 to Mr.Shine??
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:29:02 PM by north miami »

Noone

« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »
$20million?!?!

John, can you please forward me that email?

Everyone needs to be concerned. SHIPYARDS III
Here is the first couple of sentences from Jacksonville Waterways Commission member Scott Shine who is part of a special FIND subcommittee looking at canoe and kayak launches in Duval county. Lane Burnett, and the Chair of the FIND subcommittee is Gary Anderson

"Had conversations with several people close to the pier issue and got educated on this issue as I promised. From what I have gathered the issue centers on building the Riverwalk completion to close the existing gap between the shoreline and the pier. Then the pier itself would need to be repaired and facilities put in place to make it safe for users. The numbers I am hearing are this project would take OVER $20 million to complete. Hence the reason we are not moving forward."

NM I've emailed him back and have also asked who is giving you this information. Be concerned MJ'ers.
I'm scared to death.

In my book the biggest blame if this doesn't get on the FIND list will be Don Redman. Although I must say I'm disappointed with Shine on this too.

Shine has since emailed me back and will do a site inspection in January. Too late.

In 6 days the reorginization plan.
In 7 days Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting and the FIND list.

Its just a list.

Then it goes to the city council.
I've got so much more on this.

north miami

« Reply #283 on: December 08, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »

Great informative efforts Noone.

So the way I read it, at least an envisioned FIND project itself would not be $20,000,000

And perhaps the Pier must see extensive repairs in order to accommodate certain public use?

Noone

« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2011, 03:16:54 AM »
$20million?!?!

MJ'ers has anyone tried to contact anybody about this issue? In 5 days this final FIND list goes to the Jacksonville Waterways Commission for approval then on to the full city council and then to the Commissioners of FIND representing the east coast of the state of Florida.

3 years ago I attended a meeting in Duval county with the Commissioners of FIND with this one question. If private money was raised for a pocket pier floating dock at a waterfront Public Access street end would the commissioners of FIND match the other half of the construction cost? The answer was yes. You need a sponsor. (a city councilman)

So 3 years later is a Public process that is still in the process and that is the special FIND subcommittee that is looking at canoe and kayak launches for Duval county. So can you imagine the monumental embarrassment to go back to the commissioners of FIND and share with them what is not on the list.

So Field, and anyone else if your game and I'm serious. The commissioners of FIND are awesome. Other Commissioners of FIND have informed me that they are working on Pocket Piers in their districts. So can you imagine this Public/Private Partnership where we raise and I don't care if its just a $100 we then present it to another county so that their residents will have access to the intracoastal Waterway or the St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative.