Author Topic: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty  (Read 140790 times)

JayBird

Re: Trayvon Martin Case plus related discussion of Law and Racism
« Reply #570 on: July 18, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
The largest difference in the Davis and Martin cases is there were a lot of eye witnesses at the gas station.  In the Martin killing, no one truly knows what happened except Zimmerman.

+1

Cheshire Cat

Re: Trayvon Martin Case plus related discussion of Law and Racism
« Reply #571 on: July 18, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
The largest difference in the Davis and Martin cases is there were a lot of eye witnesses at the gas station.  In the Martin killing, no one truly knows what happened except Zimmerman. 
Exactly.

Cheshire Cat

Re: Boycott Florida! Really?
« Reply #572 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
Well I am sure many people have been made aware of the call by some celebrities and others with agendas for folks to "Boycott Florida".  Yes, this is the latest outcropping of outrage, injustice or whatever.  I don't mean to sound flippant about this but really?  Really?  The purpose and drive behind this is what?  Many claim it has to do with putting pressure on Florida lawmakers to change the law.  Will it? No it won't.

Firstly the changes the "people" (citizens) want should come from the people and make themselves manifest in proactive change not via hitting at the entire population of Florida.  Here's the deal.  Are the thoughts and actions of celebrities, most of them living above the "fray" of financial struggle and day to day real world challenges, what we are going to rely upon for true social change or for equitable discussion of our system of laws?  For me the answer is a resounding "No".  While attempts at leadership through celebrity may get temporary attention to an issue it is also a great way for celebrities to do what they like which is to "stay in the spotlight".

This whole "Boycott Florida" thing is at it's best a "shortsighted" attempt to payback some "entity" that folks feel has delivered them an injustice.  Which as it turns out is the entire State of Florida.  The problem is that the only folks that will be impacted by the boycott of celebrities are the fans of those celebrities who may want to see them in live performance.  The impact of average citizens could impact tourist income but it won't.  People will still vacation here, drawn by weather, beaches, food and fun.  Any loss of income via tourism is not going to force legislation because the politicians and legislators will be taking home their sizable paychecks, benefit packages and enjoying their perks, many of them put into office by guess who?  Celebrities.  lol

http://tlcnaptown.com/2124974/eddie-levert-joins-stevie-wonder-in-boycott-of-florida-stages/

Yeah.  Its a tourist state, and weve just advertised that our stupid natives might shoot your freaking kid and get off scott free.  What did you expect?
I guess that is one way to look at what happened Stephen, but the same can be said of any other state in which someone was murdered and those prosecuting for the victim were unable to prove their case in a way that would get a prosecution under current laws. The problems this case put in the spotlight are not unique to Florida, that's the reality.  This is a single incident and as horrible as it was and is, it has nothing to do with the entire population, nor the thinking and heartfelt convictions of the "majority" of our citizens.   Stand your ground is a law in many states, not just Florida and sadly racism is also alive in most states in the union as well.  A boycott of Florida is not going to change the behaviors of bigots or the actions of legislators.  It's just silly as you so often say.  :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:06:44 PM by Cheshire Cat »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #573 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
A few days back, when some were saying the system worked and people should accept it and move on, I said the verdict was only the beginning.  Buckle your seat belts.  Like it or not, more fallout will be on the way.  Just hope that it results in something positive, like modifying the proper laws and loopholes.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #574 on: July 18, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »
A few days back, when some were saying the system worked and people should accept it and move on, I said the verdict was only the beginning.  Buckle your seat belts.  Like it or not, more fallout will be on the way.  Just hope that it results in something positive, like modifying the proper laws and loopholes.
This is gonna turn on politics like most other things do.  The NRA has a huge impact on Florida politics and politicians, both in office and seeking office.  This issue also has a huge impact on voter base considering that gun ownership crosses political boundaries these days.  Those wanting the law rewritten will have to get top politicians to believe that not supporting their issue will impact their votes and campaign funds.  So far Rick Scott has not been appealing to minority voters so unless he and other politicians think this is gonna hit their voter totals in a negative way as well as their pocketbooks come election time, it is going to be very difficult to get rewrites on this law. Abolishing it which many are calling for isn't going to happen.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:34:00 PM by Cheshire Cat »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #575 on: July 18, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
This is gonna turn on politics like most other things do.  The NRA has a huge impact on Florida politics and politicians, both in office and seeking office.  This issue also has a huge impact on voter base considering that gun ownership crosses political boundaries these days.  Those wanting the law rewritten will have to get top politicians to believe that not supporting their issue will impact their votes and campaign funds.  So far Rick Scott has not been appealing to minority voters so unless he and other politicians think this is gonna hit their voter totals in a negative way as well as their pocketbooks come election time, it is going to be very difficult to get rewrites on this law. Abolishing it which many are calling for isn't going to happen.

You believe Rick Scott will get elected again?

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #576 on: July 18, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »

You believe Rick Scott will get elected again?
It's really hard to tell this far out Ennis.  Rick Scott has abysmal popularity numbers but he is now under the Republican Brand and has a campaign account that cannot be matched. Republicans who love and hate him will fight for his re election because currently their interests are to get and keep as many of their ranks into the office of State Governor as well as Senate and Congress as they can countrywide. They understand the reality that minorities are not in their voting base and this was proved out by the last two Presidential elections. So Republicans want to take power at the State level and work their agenda's from there.   As much as people talk down Crist, he could beat Scott if the voting base is not diluted by another strong Democrat challenger. That is why Republicans are already targeting him.  Christ appeals to minority voters, teachers as well as women and the GLBT voters.  If he can put fire in minority pulpits and stand strong for women and minority rights he could edge out Scott even with all this money. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:08:49 PM by Cheshire Cat »

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #577 on: July 18, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
Another factor.  Charlie Crist has not lost some of his strongest Republican supporters.  These are his folks who don't like Scott and have always stood behind him financially.  So we can expect to see a bit of fracture on Republican ranks if Charlie runs.  Those Republicans who have always been in Charlies corner will support and vote for him if they feel he will work with them and meet their agendas. 

KenFSU

Re: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2013, 01:40:46 AM »
Interesting take by Charles Barkley.

Not so much on the verdict, but on the media coverage of the trial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=shODnGQJ6FU#at=101

I-10east

« Reply #579 on: July 19, 2013, 01:50:59 AM »
It's kinda ironic that the man who is kinda leading the charge on this 'Boycott FL' thing can't see; None other than one Stevie Wonder (not performing in stand your ground states). I wouldn't be shocked if Stevie has an inner-clairvoyance to know exactly when state lines are crossed.

sheclown

« Reply #580 on: July 19, 2013, 06:55:17 AM »
"Is that your bike?" 

Know Anyone Who Thinks Racial Profiling Is Exaggerated? Watch This, And Tell Me When Your Jaw Drops.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ge7i60GuNRg?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ge7i60GuNRg?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #581 on: July 19, 2013, 08:19:21 AM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:23:04 AM by thelakelander »

sheclown

« Reply #582 on: July 19, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
Yes.  I agree lake.

I love the guy at the end helping the woman steal the bike.

Two thoughts.

No one interviewed would see their actions as racially motivated.  In fact, one could argue they would see their actions as morally right -- worrying about someone's property.

Secondly, I was glad no one had a gun handy, and that the actor was apparently prepared for these reactions.  The crowd did get hostile.

JeffreyS

« Reply #583 on: July 19, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »
Clearly as pasty as I am I can go get a bike.

BridgeTroll

« Reply #584 on: July 19, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
Clearly as pasty as I am I can go get a bike.

Im thinkin I need one too!