Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 61257 times)

Noone

Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »
According to the COJ website this issue will be voted on Tues. Aug 10 at the Jacksonville city council meeting. Councilmembers have said that they want to hear from people. This is an opportunity to have your vote counted and heard. The poll is only for 3 days.

Noone

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:39:10 AM »
The vote on Jaxoutloud is
5-Yes
0-No

fieldafm

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
I just sent an email to my councilman and Don Redman whose district includes this space.

I would encourage any and all of you to do the same!!

urbanlibertarian

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:07 PM »
What exactly does "keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar" mean?  Disconnect it from the riverbank creating an island?

copperfiend

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I just sent an email to my councilman and Don Redman whose district includes this space.

I would encourage any and all of you to do the same!!

Do you think Redman will ask for your religious affiliation.

fieldafm

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
What exactly does "keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar" mean?  Disconnect it from the riverbank creating an island?

Meaning, as the city sells off the Shipyards property to developers, but it seperately parcels the ROW and the 680' pier adjacent to the Berkman property as a public pier... much like the pier say in Jax Beach.  This would be public land allowing the public to access the river on a spectacular pier as development surrounds it on Bay Street.  The cost could be low but the potential could be great.

How great would it be to have a fishing pier that offers such a spectacular promenade to view DT Jax?  It would only enhance any potential developer's plans for the adjacent shipyards property.

Noone

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 05:42:25 AM »
Checked the COJ website and 2010-604 is ready for council tonight. I'l be presenting this pole to the full city council in 12 hours. Your vote will be shared with the entire legislative body.

Separating the Public Pier won't be creating an island but will create an opportunity of vibrancy for that part of the river which is within our Downtown Jacksonville Overlay Zoning District.

Thanks to all of those who have voted so far.

fieldafm

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 11:24:50 AM »
Today is the council meeting.

I would encourage you all to email your council members and the at large members.  It takes literally five minutes  :)

scottwilson

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
I agree the public should have use of this pier. The bill that is currently before the City Council brings the property back to the City of Jacksonville. Once we own the property we can decide the best uses. I really do not see any reason to split City property up. It will cost money to survey and rewrite legal descriptions and record new deeds. I am not against legislation that requires the pier be kept a part of the public space including the public space where I hope to see a completed Riverwalk. I do think the plan should be well thought out. We should include the Parks Dept and JEDC. We need to make sure it is safe, possibly adding guard rails or whatever else may be needed.

Scott A. Wilson
Assistant to Don Redman
Jacksonville City Council
District Four
904-630-1394

CS Foltz

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
scott........you and I discussed this last week! How are we to pay for "Safety Improvements"? Also, by having the pier property seperate, not matter what happens with the rest of the property, that portion could be utilized as it would best be used..........as in "Public Access" and the people would have use of it rather than any developers! Which would bring me to the second question...........does the City, or Councilman Redman, have any specific use in mind for the remaining acerage? A Park of some sort would be really nice, but thats me! Not really sure that JEDC should be involved since I feel that will lead to another Parking Garage or Building going in!

fieldafm

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 02:10:52 PM »
One of the most famous piers in the country has a very inexpensive railing system

Here is Santa Monica's rail....

Noone has repeadetly advocated for containers that can be used as temporary storefronts... but why not a container-based public restroom facility/bait shop.  UNF already has a building construction program that has students building houses from shipping containers.  Would make a great opportunity for Jaxport, COJ, and UNF to work together on a public works project highlighting our claim to be 'America's Logistics Capital' that wouldnt cost a whole heck of a lot.

fieldafm

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »
I am not against legislation that requires the pier be kept a part of the public space including the public space where I hope to see a completed Riverwalk.

Thanks for the response.... is Mr Redman going to propose this?

Ocklawaha

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »
Only if it has an exit ramp for JTA!

OCKLAWAHA

rjp2008

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
I'm trying to picture this visually. Are they place parallel to the pier? Seems kinda narrow. Are they permanent and people just show up and open shop like RAM? Please elaborate. Thanks

What would a public pier container market look like? How will they fit there?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »
You can measure the pier's width on Google Earth. I can't do it right now but I believe it's about 50' wide.  Anyway, container uses on the pier won't work without something complementing them on the rest of the site. Unfortunately, the pier's location is to isolated for specialty commercial uses to work on their own.