Author Topic: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty  (Read 140465 times)

NotNow

Re: Trayvon Martin Case plus related discussion of Law and Racism
« Reply #630 on: July 20, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »
Have you ever noticed that some of the forum threads kind of end up with this conversation?  lol  I hope everyone accepts this share in the spirit of fun with which I mean it.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1394514250766136&set=vb.136336876521150&type=2&theater

Ha!  That does sound like us!
"We may yet become the first nation to die from a terminal case of frivolity. Other great nations in history have been threatened by barbarians at the gates. We may be the first to be threatened by self-indulgent silliness inside the gates." - Thomas Sowell

JayBird

Re: Zimmerman Found Not Guilty
« Reply #631 on: July 20, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
^To demand justice ... What exactly do they propose to get justice?

sheclown

« Reply #632 on: July 20, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »

Angela Cory's head on a platter for starters.

Clearly repeal of the "Stand your ground" laws.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:58:07 PM by sheclown »

NotNow

« Reply #633 on: July 20, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
Serious question Sheclown, How would either of those = justice?
"We may yet become the first nation to die from a terminal case of frivolity. Other great nations in history have been threatened by barbarians at the gates. We may be the first to be threatened by self-indulgent silliness inside the gates." - Thomas Sowell

sheclown

« Reply #634 on: July 20, 2013, 03:57:53 PM »
Serious question Sheclown, How would either of those = justice?

I think mostly at this early stage (and this is purely conjecture) it is being together to share outrage and pain and find comfort in community.

NotNow

« Reply #635 on: July 20, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »
Thanks Sheclown, I appreciate your opinion.  My personal experience and opinion often seems so different from some here.  I find it interesting to try to see where people develop their beliefs.   Read this article and tell me what you think (I agree with its premis):

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/radical-gun-control-zombies-exploit-grieving-black-community//#more

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #636 on: July 20, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
Have you ever noticed that some of the forum threads kind of end up with this conversation?  lol  I hope everyone accepts this share in the spirit of fun with which I mean it.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1394514250766136&set=vb.136336876521150&type=2&theater

Ha!  That does sound like us!
I tell you what.  I chuckled all the way through this video.  :)

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #637 on: July 20, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »

Angela Cory's head on a platter for starters.

Clearly repeal of the "Stand your ground" laws.

Angela Corey is completely doable! She can keep her head but take it with her someplace far far away where judgement and agenda by one is the norm.

The reality with regard to a full recall of Stand your Ground is that it will not be repealed.  The reason is the politics and the influence the NRA has on them financially and via the public as well as sitting politicians and impact on those seeking office.  You know I am not a gun person by any stretch but the most those who are going after SYG can hope to accomplish is a review and with enough pressure a rewrite of some portions.  The fact is politicians are not afraid of those currently calling for the repeal. Rick Scott a prime example.  Politicians also know that it is not just conservatives who own guns, but liberals and others.  Ownership also crosses all racial lines.  What Scott told protestors was that he would "not" call a special legislative session nor would he call for a repeal of Stand Your Ground.  He did say "I appreciate you" political rhetoric for "go away and shut up, but please vote for me later".  He also called for a "Day of Prayer"!  I remember Peyton doing that in the face of past struggles here in Jacksonville and so has Brown.  This will turn on politics and politicians response to the issue and not pure morality and that is the sad truth in 2013. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:08:33 PM by Cheshire Cat »

JayBird

« Reply #638 on: July 20, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
Once again the voice of reason Diane, thank you and I fully agree with your analysis

Ocklawaha

Re: When will the killing stop??
« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
I don't own a gun, and with the Stand Your Ground BS going on right now, I don't know how I'd react if someone were to run up on me with a gun, demanding money or something, if I had a gun. I carry a mighty large pocket knife, but would that save me? And, if I used it in self defense, then what?

Deathstar, NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT!  ;)

NotNow

« Reply #640 on: July 20, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »
a child is killed and a florida law lets the murderer walk and you think its about race?

Well ok, coredumped.  thats the problem.

I was not one of the people who cheered when OJ Simpson got off for murdering his ex wife.  I thought it was a terrible miscarriage of justice, and I was down that entire day.

But he didnt get off because California had a law which created certain circumstances where he could murder his wife and not be guilty of a crime.  He got off because the Jury did not believe that he had actually been present for the crime.

Thats not what happened here.  Zimmerman admitting to killing the child.

If you cant understand that, I think it says more about your filters than it does about the public reaction.

StephenDare!, to repeat....Zimmerman claimed self defense.  The jury, after reviewing the evidence and hearing all of the witnesses as well as the arguments of opposing council, agreed that the available evidence showed him to be not guilty.  There is not a state in the union that has a differing law on self defense.  Blaming the "law" of Florida  for this verdict is a false argument. 

carpnter

« Reply #641 on: July 21, 2013, 12:22:22 AM »
a child is killed and a florida law lets the murderer walk and you think its about race?

Well ok, coredumped.  thats the problem.

I was not one of the people who cheered when OJ Simpson got off for murdering his ex wife.  I thought it was a terrible miscarriage of justice, and I was down that entire day.

But he didnt get off because California had a law which created certain circumstances where he could murder his wife and not be guilty of a crime.  He got off because the Jury did not believe that he had actually been present for the crime.

Thats not what happened here.  Zimmerman admitting to killing the child.

If you cant understand that, I think it says more about your filters than it does about the public reaction.

StephenDare!, to repeat....Zimmerman claimed self defense.  The jury, after reviewing the evidence and hearing all of the witnesses as well as the arguments of opposing council, agreed that the available evidence showed him to be not guilty.  There is not a state in the union that has a differing law on self defense.  Blaming the "law" of Florida  for this verdict is a false argument.

Sorry, but the juror instructions included stand your ground law.  Just because Zimmerman didnt use it as part of his official defense when it came to trial doesnt mean that the law just blinked out of existence, as you are claiming in your argument.

You are being disingenuous.

Stephen, your problem is you think you know exactly what happened that night when you really don't.  The jury heard all of the evidence, listened to all of the testimony, and could not say he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.   I bet your mind has been made up since this story hit the news months ago.

What if, Martin did attack Zimmerman first as was alleged and he was beating him, it is reasonable that someone could be scared that their life is in danger and react the way Zimmerman did. 

I-10east

Re: When will the killing stop??
« Reply #642 on: July 21, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
The latest is a woman clerk killed in a robbery gone wrong at the Metro PCS on Main. I drove right by it wondering what the hell was going on.

www.news4jax.com/news/jso-clerk-shot-killed-inside-cell-phone-store/-/475880/21086406/-/7chpeq/-/index.html

johnnyman

« Reply #643 on: July 21, 2013, 12:42:14 AM »
Two morons duk'n it out.  One loses one wins.   Let's move on people. 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #644 on: July 21, 2013, 04:44:43 AM »
What if, Martin did attack Zimmerman first as was alleged and he was beating him, it is reasonable that someone could be scared that their life is in danger and react the way Zimmerman did.

This is where the law needs to be fleshed out more, IMO. The evidence indicates GZ initiated the entire thing by profiling and following TM.  No doubt, he feared for his life when the victim turned the tables on him.  However, many don't believe the aggressor should be allowed to shoot people, at the point he feels threatened and then walk away free.  This is what most of the commotion is about.