Poll

Should an amendment be attached to 2010-604 that would keep the 680' Public Pier separate from the 44 acres that was Shipyards/Landmar?

Yes
44 (91.7%)
No
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 11, 2010, 04:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier  (Read 60945 times)

CS Foltz

Re: Downtown Jacksonville Public Pier
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 09:20:53 PM »
Would also like to point out...........containers down one side and alternating to the other..... many ways of going at it lake and yes I understand what your refering to as adjacent property making or breaking any idea! Maybe a straight shot from the road into the pier...........containers at the pier end? Free's up area infront of the pier for flexibility, pier to be kept seperate?

Noone

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 09:21:29 PM »
To be honest, this concept would struggle to be a success on it's own. Special attention will have to be given to the development of the surrounding context. On its own, it will have the same fate as the retail shops that once lined the Southbank Riverwalk near Charthouse.

I was not in favor of containers in that sense... but a unique public restroom facility, which would be required anyway for such a park.  UNF does it, Jaxport has them sitting there... why not combine the resources?

The pier can't be an attraction in and of itself(not talking about recreating the St Petersburg Pier), but it offers a fantastic promenade to enjoy the river and could only further enhance the surrounding development.  A simple viewing/fishing pier that connects to the riverwalk makes a lot of sense.

I have some renderings of ideas I drew up one night when I couldn't sleep...  but take a look at these and use your own imagination.  There's a lot of potential IMO.

Great pics.
Also remember that this will be a huge draw from other counties. Love to see the renderings.

Noone

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »
To get back to the main point of this poll. After today's revelation at Waterways that certain pieces of legislation were being cherry picked for Waterways that our elected legislative representatives will keep the Promised Pier separate.

CS Foltz

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
stephen ....I can not disagree! It does need to be integrated into an overall picture! There needs to be sufficient parking (this will be interesting!) So I guess the next question should be.........whose vision will this be? City Hall's? I have seen the path the current administration is traveling and I am not waiting for the next stop to come up.....the kid has already hit the ejection handle! JEDC and DVI may have a finger in this one and they had darn sure better take heed of the public on this one! We have already lost out on millions just in developing and tax roll's and we can not afford to lose like this again! So where do I put my two cents in at?

Noone

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 09:43:32 PM »
Naw! Got to keep it clear, we need "FLEX SPACE!"

OCKLAWAHA

How about both?

CS Foltz

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »
I would ask the same thing......why not?

stjr

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 09:55:20 PM »
Lot's of piers here.  Which one are we talking about?  Do they all stay?  What happens to the others?

Seems like these piers might serve as a base for a large marina as well.  Or tying up a cruise ship or visiting naval vessel. Maybe they would make for a great radio controlled model airplane runway  :D

Ocklawaha

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »

BINGO STEPHEN! You might know that I'm pretty pumped about the new urban versions of IKEA, BASS PRO and others, but even that wouldn't really fit the mold of complimenting uses.

Revive the Quay idea, the sea port of old, the fish and crab markets, the warehouse stores, and toss in Jakes Aquarium and a Nautical Museum (with real ships) and we'd have to keep it open 24/7 as the demand would be huge.

I think tying it into the Skyway would assist it along, but more so if the Skyway station played to the tune of the old Wharf's and terminals, and entered the lobby of a metal sided upscale hotel... 

GOT TO HAVE VISION AND GET OUT OF OUR BOX!

BTW, Been talking to FDOT, ZEPPELIN and a couple other interesting possibilities for elsewhere in our city.

OCKLAWAHA

CS Foltz

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 10:14:16 PM »
stephen.............it was called the "Ship Yards" for a reason! I understand the direction you hope to get things moving on this one and would say "Why Not"? Got alot of possibility's here and I just don't want the ball dropped this time out! Being older than the average bear gives me a viewpoint that lots of people can not relate too....that can be good as well as bad! Either way, looking forward to just what takes place......vision and imagination have been lacking to this point and it is time for a change! Ock does have some added ammo also! I am game for just about anything to this point!

Noone

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

Take for example the idea of 'multi use zoning'

Its time to open up the riverfront for trade again.

Thats the whole point of using a container and the creation of jobs and vibrancy. We are a port city. 14 ports in the state of Florida. Is anyone else using a container even in a small capacity to create a buzz for the international trade that Jacksonville is a part of?

Ock and I have been perusing the records of the old city maps for how the riverfornt was used, and from the beginning, in every era of the city's development there were municipal docks, that allowed commercial usage of the riverfront.

Lake and I have discussed this for a while now as well, and one very good adaptive reuse for those docks would be to establish seafood and fresh produce markets on the riverfront again.  Having been in the food business for a while, I can tell you there is no distributor for the hospitality industry anywhere near the city core, despite the hundreds of restaurants, hotels, commercial cafeterias and hospitals that are located there.

A seafood and fresh market would also provide docks that would allow the reprovisioning of small cruise and recreational craft---an unbelievably profitable industry for any town that undertakes it.

Imagine being able to get fresh shrimp in downtown jacksonville again....

Noone

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »
I just butchered that post. Stephen and Och, Just think of the pier as a lead in to what you are talking about which is on a bigger scale. Good ideas.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:21:34 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »
I agree the public should have use of this pier. The bill that is currently before the City Council brings the property back to the City of Jacksonville. Once we own the property we can decide the best uses. I really do not see any reason to split City property up. It will cost money to survey and rewrite legal descriptions and record new deeds. I am not against legislation that requires the pier be kept a part of the public space including the public space where I hope to see a completed Riverwalk. I do think the plan should be well thought out. We should include the Parks Dept and JEDC. We need to make sure it is safe, possibly adding guard rails or whatever else may be needed.

Scott A. Wilson
Assistant to Don Redman
Jacksonville City Council
District Four
904-630-1394

Scott, Appreciate posting and on a side note I see where the council just introduced 2010-675 which is to bring the USS Adams to the Southbank and being that Don is a cosponsor I'm sure that you have crunched the numbers and can  share with us the start up costs and who is paying for what.

scottwilson

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 02:20:13 PM »
I appreciate the feedback on serious planning for the commercial use that Nooney has suggested. It would be much easier
to begin by allowing people to fish and enjoy the river. I still do not see any reason to split the property as long as the City owns it. If a developer wants to purchase the property we can split at that time. Some have suggested a convention center in that area n

rjp2008

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
It's probably much easier to reserve it specifically for the public now then in the future when a developer comes calling with millions of dollars to dangle at the city for entire plot. Some many be afraid of a future sell out I suppose and want to prevent it from happening.

Noone

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
It's probably much easier to reserve it specifically for the public now then in the future when a developer comes calling with millions of dollars to dangle at the city for entire plot. Some many be afraid of a future sell out I suppose and want to prevent it from happening.

Bingo-rjp couldn't have said it better. And that is exactly what has happened in the past with Shipyards/Landmar. An amendment can be attached at RCD Monday 8/16 then go to full council for a vote 8/24

Its the right thing to do.